Wednesday, June 8, 2016

Come and be loved

Have you ever thought that we view others as mirrors? 

I can't remember exactly where I heard this (and I know I'm paraphrasing and plagiarizing this) but it has been rolling around in my head for months. 


What if we stopped viewing ourselves in relation to what someone else looks like? What if we stopped measuring ourselves against the person in front of us, and stopped imagining how our images lined up with theirs, as if theirs was the standard.... or worse, as if our image was the standard... 

What if when we looked at the person staring back at us, we just appreciated them for the unique and wonderfully made human being they are? 


I don't want to be a mirror that calls others to look and compare themselves or judge themselves against my standard. I have no standard. I have no standard because I did not receive a standard to achieve when I ran to my Father and climbed up into his lap. 

I received so much gentleness, so much kindness and grace when I deserved none of it. My hard heart... my bitter, angry, unrepentant heart did not in turn recieve bitterness and hardness. I received a gentle hand... 

an invitation to sit and cry, to be comforted and accepted and loved.



We are called not to fit a standard... but in our uniqueness together... as broken and imperfect as we may be, we are called to reflect the gentleness, the kindness, the acceptance and the comfort of a Father who longs for us to draw near to Him. 

This is His church. We are His people.

And the closer we draw near to Him... the further we shrink back from the things that tempt us away from our Father... we are transformed by his infinite love for us. How could we not? It is irresistible. 

No comments: