Sunday, December 21, 2008

Now I Lay Me Down To Sleep

I had the opportunity to help a very talented and loving photographer last week.
I've been trying to write this post for a few days. For a loquacious girl...I am at a loss for words.


NILMDTS is a wonderful non-profit organization offering professional, beautiful photographs for parents of babies that have passed away during pregnancy (like my Owen) or babies that are very sick and not expected to live. I can't say it any better than the NILMDTS website:
"Offering gentle and beautiful photography services in a compassionate and sensitive manner is the heart of this organization. The soft, gentle heirloom photographs of these beautiful babies are an important part of the healing process. They allow families to honor and cherish their babies, and share the spirits of their lives."

Below is a segment from 'The Today Show' about a NILMDTS photographer, and the family she lovingly photographed.


I contacted our area coordinator for NILMDTS a few weeks ago to inquire about assisting her in any way she might need help. We emailed back and forth a few times and we agreed that I could assist her during her photography sessions when she got a call from the hospital...when a baby died. She warned me that call would come one day...
and last week, it did.

I was honored to help. To be a part of this mother's horrible journey. To sit by her side and hold her hand. To clumsily tell her how sorry I was. To cry with her. To fill the space that went unfilled in my life when Owen died. I didn't want her to feel alone, to feel like the only woman who left the hospital with empty arms and a broken heart. There weren't any magic words spoken between us, no words can ease the pain.

The photographer (I'll call her T.) is a woman with a huge heart. It was an honor to help her.
T. worked professionally, gently photographing a tiny baby boy whose mother's life had just changed irrevocably. Her compassion was deeply moving.
Her photographs were beautiful; touching images of a precious little baby boy...gone too soon.

1 comment:

Teresa said...

Elizabeth, I just want to say thank you for helping during that NILMDTS session. We all must serve the Lord somehow and I feel He called me to volunteer for this organization just as He called you to do the same. I trulyfeel so blessed to be able to provide families with something I feel makes a difference and He keeps me strong during these sessions so that I can I need to do without breaking down.

Just know that you have a beautiful soul. Thanks again,

Teresa Vickery