Monday, December 8, 2008

Of All The Charlie Browns In The World

I'm the Charlie Browniest.

We decorated our tree tonight. I'm trying. I really am. Last year, hubs wanted to put up a tree and decorate for Christmas. I told him that if he wanted to then he could, but I really didn't want to do anything. So I sat on the couch and watched him work. I just wanted to let the holidays pass me by last year. Ba humbug.

This year, we decided (after some great tips from one of my MISS friends) to start new traditions and only keep traditions that bring joy and hope into our home, not added stress and worry.
One of our new traditions was to get a live tree (we usually have an artificial tree). Well, you read how that went yesterday. It was a little stressful, but mostly fun. We're also going to make cute little homemade gingerbread cookies and do a new craft project every year. This year we're making a wreath out of cookie cutters. I got the idea out of Good Housekeeping. Click here for the article. It's so cute. There are a lot of other neat ideas for homemade wreaths.

I do feel a little...I don't what the right word is...okay (I guess) this year after decorating. We remembered Owen while decorating the tree, lovingly thought of him. Remembering his life, feeling his absence...the hole where he should be. We waited and put his ornaments on the tree last. He has three. One little snow baby popping out of a stocking that has his name on it. The other two were gifts for his birthday. A family member named a star after Owen and we received a star ornament in the mail. It's really touching. It is engraved with his name and the location of his star. The last ornament is a dove that also has his name engraved on it. It's the little things after all.

.sigh. I'm exhausted tonight. Where is rest when you need it?

Good grief.

At least our tree is pretty...

1 comment:

Amy said...

Your tree is beautiful! We tried to skip Christmas all together last year - no tree, no lights, nothing. This year feels different, and we have decided to go all the way. Lights on the house, Christmas tree and of course, Liam's tree.

Your new traditions sound great! Good luck with them, and I hope they bring some peace to and enjoyment to your heart.

As you said though, there is always something missing, and that of course is our sweet Liam, and your little Owen.

I know their light shines bright as we try to celebrate the holidays.

Amy