Monday, January 12, 2009

Free?

Are we really free? By the way, what does it mean to be free?

For freedom Christ has set us free; stand firm therefore, and do not submit again to a yoke of slavery.
Galatians 5:1


To be free...in my life, to be free means:

Sleeping until noon, unashamedly.
Making my hubs a sandwich for dinner.
Going on a date with hubs to see the movie
Twilight (twice?!)
Speaking my mind.
Arguing with hubs about whether or not to take a FREE piano.
Grieving my babies...however I want.
Staying home from church because I was sick yesterday.
Staying home from church because I did not want to go.
Reading my bible.
Not picking my bible up for an entire year after Owen died.
Drinking coffee for lunch.
Praying for more children...praying for children that live.
Wrestling with God over the little and the big things.
Crying for no reason.
Crying for my babies in Heaven.
Walking to my mailbox and calling it exercise.
Skipping laundry day for three weeks.
Spending two full days doing catch up laundry.
Asking God the hard questions.
Being angry with God that He's given me no answers.
Feeling unsatisfied with my life.
Blogging when I could be cleaning, reading, praying, etc etc etc.
Not returning phone calls.
Feeding discontentment with jealousy, bitterness and resentment.

O.K. I could really go on and on, but I'll end it there.

Does being free mean it is okay to be angry with God? Is it okay to not go to church because I don't want to go? Is it okay to be bitter, jealous and resentful?
I won't patronize you...we all know that it's not 'okay'....but you know what? It is okay.

Because it is for FREEDOM that Christ has set us free! It is not for rules or for punishment or for judgment that Christ has us free. It is for FREEDOM!

I am free to do all the above (and more)...and so are you. But does that mean that it creates a more loving environment, or grows relationships, or cultivates intimacy between our loving Father and ourselves?
Um...I plead the fifth.

If it is better for me...then why don't I read my bible every day, pray consistently, love my neighbor, love my hubs more than myself, make nutritious meals for hubs and myself, nourish relationships or go to church every Sunday to hear God's word???
.sigh. Well, because I'm a mess. Yep. I admit it.
But we all are. We're big heaping piles of messes, all of us.

I can't help but to struggle with the life God has given me. It is a hard life.
Compared to the woman living in rural Africa with no clean water and starving children...my life is grand. I have nothing to complain about...but I still complain.

So, where are we left then?

Free to complain? Yep.
Free to struggle? Yep.
Free to run away? Of course.
Free to sin? This is a biggie...but yes, yes we are free to sin too.

We are free to live a life free of judgment and condemnation when we accept Christ.

I need a Savior. I need Him more than air...more than coffee in the morning. I can't do anything without His strength working in my life. When I let go, run away, hide my face and scream at Him...He holds on. He holds me up when I cannot stand (let's face it, I am never able to stand without Him), and He loves me no matter what I have done or have neglected to do. That my friends is the Gospel. Isn't it wonderful?!

It is for freedom that Christ has set us free.

1 comment:

Casa Musgrove ... said...

Beautifully said my friend. Thanks for putting into words what I constantly feel in my own heart. I love you! linda

*can i link your site to our family blog? i am not able to be very transparent on our blog cuz of different reasons and i think your link would be powerful for certain members of my family. you decide and let me know whenever. love you still...