Friday, May 29, 2009

Beautiful Hope

Samuel Rutherford is one of my husband's favorite theologians. I must say, after reading some bits and pieces of his writings, he is one of my favorites too. Samuel outlived (on this earth) all of his nine children, save one, his ten year old daughter.

These are excerpts of letters Samuel wrote to men and women who had also lost children; from The Loveliness of Christ:


Go on and faint not, something of yours is in heaven, beside the flesh of your exalted Saviour, and ye go on after your own.


He is not lost to you who is found to Christ.



She is not sent away, but only sent before, like unto a star, which going out of your sight, doth not die and vanish, but shineth in another hemisphere: ye see her not, yet she doth shine in another country.


Beautiful, beautiful HOPE...

5 comments:

Crissie said...

Printing it out now Ebe... I tell you, I greatly, greatly appreciate having you next to me on this road. You are an inspiration to me and it helps me immensely to see things as they really are. It's ok that I'm sad. It doesn't mean I'm losing my faith...

I have 8 wonderful children and 5 who live with me now... 3 just wait for me. Our beautiful twins and our sweet Tanner just wait for me... They have just gone before. It's not what imperfect ME would have wanted but God didn't take them, he blessed me to be the mother of spirits so special that they didn't need to be tried. Thank you, thank you for helping me to remember that.

Ebe, I pray for you daily and I want you to know from the bottom of my heart that Owen lives on because you are willing to share your life with him with me. You are brave my friend...

Sara said...

Boy Ebe, it does bring me hope to hear those words from someone who lost so many children. Wow, he persevered with such vigor and what he said gives me a different perspective. Thank you so much for sharing:) Thinking of you today.
Sara

Rebecca said...

I have never longed for Heaven like I do now. Before I always looked at Heaven as an escaping FROM the pain, difficulty, suffering of this earth. But now it is somewhere I am longing to go TO because I know my sweet Olivia is waiting for me there.

Malou's Mama said...

Thank you for this post! It brings tears to my eyes.
Keep writing. We are here remembering your Owen, and sharing our similar, but unique, journeys.

Anonymous said...

Today I was at the park, when I noticed a woman with dark hair who reminded me of you (or at least what I've seen of you in your pictures). She was swinging her little boy, when she called out his name "Owen". My eyes watered up - grateful to have worn my sunglasses.