Friday, July 17, 2009

Red Tape

We've been trying to navigate some pretty silly/weird/so-crazy-it-is-almost-funny red tape in our part of the country...well, county to be more specific...well, it is even more specific than that, but I won't go into the details because, well, I think I can make my point without them.

After all those 'wells' I had better make my point well. *he he*


You know when you call someone (say in a rental agency, for example) on Monday and they promise to get back to you soon, you expect at least a day, maybe a day and a half before a phone call. Okay, so Thursday rolls around and still no word from said place of business. You make the call again and receive a slightly flustered, formerly polite, woman informing you that she did not promise to get back to you and she, in fact, is not the person you need to be speaking with, but so 'n so from another department should handle your request. Okay...

Transferred to said 'other person' and explain situation yet again and then get the run around about how she's actually not in charge of those types of requests, but after putting you on hold, comes back on the line to say that she can get in contact with the person who can evaluate our situation and manage our request, and then, contact us with the answer.
How long, you ask, until we receive the answer?

Well, under normal circumstances, we might let this 'problem' hang over our heads and wait (patiently/impatiently?) for a few days, but seeing as we've been dealing with said situation for 6 WEEKS (!) we weren't too keen on waiting anymore.
We email, we call, we border on 'the crazy' and finally after many frustrated conversations, we get the answer we've been waiting for...

YES!

I can almost hear the sigh of relief on the other end of the phone and a whispered "Get off my back, you crazy monkey!" before we disconnect.


All this to say, these seemingly never ending series of conversations has got me thinking about how I view God when I pray.
God is not a God of red tape. Even in our waiting on Him, it is not red tape we are navigating. The waiting is all part of His good sovereign plan for our good and His glory.
Yes, I know. It can be hard. Hard seems to lack the fierceness I am trying to detail. Excruciating, maybe?
But it is not red tape and the waiting is not punishment. I have to remind myself of this when I find myself trying to impress/sway/cajole God into bending to my will, giving me what I want or taking away some painful burden or situation. We are not beggars. There is no need to beg God for something. I have the tendency to do this in my most desperate prayers, but this week a good friend reminded me that we are His children and we never have to beg.

5 comments:

knittinghenfibers said...

Ebe,
I am so glad for you both that this stressful situation got resolved. You both have the patience and faith that set such a great example for us all.
love ya,
T

sjefferson said...

Hmmm...Very good point and much needed! Very, very good point.

Rachel said...

Very true - begging is definitely not the reason to be on my knees.

Rebecca said...

Well said. Yes, that waiting is sometimes excruciating and, many times, confusing for me. What a refreshing reminder that we are not beggars, but rather, His beloved children.

"If you, then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him!" ~Matthew 7:11

Traci said...

I'm so glad you guys have received a 'yes' for the answer you were waiting for.

I wish I could say that I respond graciously and with patience when I feel God is not hearing - or perhaps ignoring ;) - my pleas....demands. Eh hem. I'm so glad He loves us even in those moments!

Love you - may your heart be light this weekend!