Saturday, September 12, 2009

Ode

With the end of Labor day weekend, I can think of nothing better than an ode to summer (and an outrageous amount of pictures).


*clears throat*


Summer, oh Summer. How I will miss your long days.

With Fall approaching and the weather soon changing,

I can't say I will miss how wet my clothing stays.



With a blistering neck and a really bad tan line,

I'll remember fondly the warmth you brought me this year.

The chigger bites were a plenty, oh and a jellyfish run in,

But the pleasures outweigh the perils any ole day.

A broken air conditioner during this long hot season

is a small price to pay for a trip to the beach and an ice cold cherry coke.




Still there?



Okay. Good. Thought I might have lost you there. Anywho.


Summer was fun. I can't believe that Labor Day is over and Summer will officially be gone in less than two weeks. We had a prettty good summer. 
We took two trips to the beach and have attended two weddings (with one more coming up soon!). We moved the beginning of June into a really cute apartment in the middle of town. We've been up to my parent's lake house a few times where I caught a couple of huge (read 2 lb) catfish.

Recently we went to a pig pickin'. Um, if you haven't been to one or even know what one is- you must look into it. We didn't get the pleasure (?) of seeing the whole pig, head and all, but what I saw was plenty. Coming from a former vegetarian I can tell you truthfully I was a little apprehensive, but it was a fun night.

Oh, and the cats had fleas. twice. Apparently it's been a bad year for fleas. Well, a good year for fleas and a bad year for animal owners. We had to give them both a bath. If you know anything about cats, you know that they h.a.t.e. baths. It was a good laugh for us though.

I don't know if this is a summer activity, but I am in the middle of making my first quilt. I'm pretty pumped about it. Admittedly, it's not going to be perfect, but I've had a great time working on it. It's definitely a baby blanket. A baby girl blanket. It's all pink and yellow and green. I know I don't have a girl, or even a baby at home, but I've had such a sweet time praying over the little girl who will one day, Lord willing, use this blanket.

We've really missed Owen this summer. I just wonder what kind of little man he would be. What kind of trouble he'd be getting into. One of my good friends said, rather thoughtfully, that her laid back daughter, G., probably wouldn't really like hanging out with Owen very much. She said she imagined him as a rambunctous little boy who was into everything and was always moving. I thought it was hilarious, and probably very true.

We are tenderly stepping into fall knowing that November is right around the corner. Two years-





Ready to be bombarded with a whole lotta pictures? 

No? That's okay...I'm gonna post them anyway. ;)

This is our living/dining area of our new place. It's small, yes; but quite a lovely little place.

I had a birthday this summer. Yay. 
(Look at Chris' face in this picture. I think he was excited. Maybe.)

This is my dad. We went to the beach with my family in July. 
He caught quite a few sharks. And he put them all back in the ocean. 
That's a nice thought, isn't it? 

Me and Chris at the beach.

Well, here's the inspiration. 
A horse pooped on the sand right in front of our 
umbrellas and the tide was coming in. I so did not want to get in the water and see a kernel of poop float past me. So, I did what any city girl who's never shoveled poop before would do, I got my trusty shovel and took it up to the bank and buried it.
Who knew?

This is my mom, her sister and me relaxing at the beach house (not that you could tell we are related).

Chris and a friend practicing the music for my brother's wedding.

The wedding rehearsal. I was my brother's 'best man'.

The luncheon before the wedding. I'm siting next to my now sister-in-law.



Yes, I am dancing. I love to dance and have been finding myself dancing more these days.
Praise be to God.

Dancing again. I made my dad dance with me. 

Oh, Maggie. You were such a good sport. Sort of.
I don't know where they got fleas, but man, what a pain.

This is the farm where we had the pig pickin'. It was a beautiful night.


WARNING: avert your eyes if you're prone to vomiting. 


YUCK.

Snapping peas, watching the first Georgia football game of the season.

My quilt! Well, my quilt in progress. I'll be sure to post the pictures when I'm finished.



Congrats if you made it to the end of this post. That was a long one. I'm not even sure y'all care what I did this summer. Oh well... 
I kind of needed to post something light-hearted. Thanks for hanging in there with me.

I'll try not to go so long in between posts, but I can't make any promises. 
The words are there, but sometimes the strength to write them is not.

9 comments:

Ruth said...

Your post today has a lightness and a happiness that is so nice to read. It looks like it was a really good summer.
R

Sara said...

It is so good to read a post. I was hoping all was well with you. I missed hearing from you:)

I loved reading about how you think Owen would be right now, rambunctious and all. Precious.

Loved seeing all of the pictures and seeing your warm smile...praying for you.
Sara

Amy said...

Thanks for sharing some of your wonderful and fun moments of the summer. I love dancing too! So much fun. Good to see you smiling in these pictures too.

Love your new living digs - small but very cozy and cute!

Rachel said...

Fun to see a glimpse into your life since we've never met! You and your mom have the same eyebrows - cute!

I don't know what Nov. is like in GA, but if it's like MN, it is a depressing month in itself with some many grey days. I will definitely be praying for you as you approach Owen's second birthday in Heaven. It's heartwrenching have time move farther from him, but take hope in knowing that it's also moving you closer to him!
Thanks for your prayers!
Love,
Rachel

Tonya said...

I loved reading about your summer! The pictures were great...I loved the little glimpse into your cute, new place. Only makes me want to come see it in person soon even more! I SO enjoyed our visit the other day!

November is quickly approaching for both of us. Know that I'm thinking of you and praying for you.

Love,
Tonya

Anna said...

I loved this post. So happy to see pics of you dancing! The pig thing reminds me of my Chris... He has a big old pig cooker, so several times a summer I see him cooking and cutting up pigs... took a little getting used to!

Love,
Anna

Wishing Owen was here and being all rambunctious this summer too...

Chris said...

Though life overall sucks at times, the overshadowing "overall" is the blood that Christ shed, which has covered and is redeeming all that makes it suck. This post is such a testimony of that very truth.
Oh, how I love the life in which Christ has given us Himself, each other, and our little boy who is sooo rambunctious in His Heavenly Papa's Heaven. It makes me so happy to think about what Summer in Heaven is like and what kind Owen is having there.
Love you Ebe. I am so honored to be the one to see the most of your precious smiles.
PAPA

Traci said...

Thanks for the ode ;). Thanks for the pics - it nice to see new images! Think I could have a copy of the one of you and Chris at the beach? I love it and I really need to update pics on my desk ;)....

As Chris said, I know that there is so much of this life that sucks. But it lifts my heart to see moments like these. I know the hard parts aren't gone - will never be truly gone - but I pray for more times when it is all easier to bear and you have the kind of breath and freedom that lets the lightness and the silliness out. Thank the Lord for silliness! It a part of Chris and it's a part of you - and a big part of what we love about you both!

Have a tremendous amount of fun piecing that quilt together!! I can't wait to see it in use! Love you so very much.

Mrs. MK said...

Good post, Ebe! By the severe lack of posting on my blog, you can tell that I am just not up to it right now. But I am so glad that you are, and that you've had a good summer and are dancing again! I loved the photo of your dad, by the way, he looks like a little boy with that shark! Reminds me of my dad, he's never grown up, either!!

I am excited to hear about the quilt. I love making things...it is soothing!