Monday, January 11, 2010

Boxes full of 'noxes'

It's been almost four months of twice daily Lovenox shots and I'm think it's time to devote a post to my new friend, 'the nox'.

I need a little levity in my days and this seemed a good (or weird) way to do it.

I don't really look forward to my morning and evening routine of sticking myself with a needle and injecting a medicine that burns like fire, but I have come to love my new friend. I absolutely hate having a disorder that requires these shots, but because I do need them, I am so thankful to have them. Sometimes I (still) need a little psyching up to do my shots, so I stand there in the bathroom and think about my sweet Hannah Mae, who I'm sure wouldn't be big and healthy and alive if it weren't for these shots. I praise God for giving us the technology and the knowledge to have medicine like this. Did you know that Lovenox is derived from porcine intestinal mucous? That's pig intestines for those of you who need to look it up (um, like me). Who thought of that? It's amazing...
Praise God for scientists and researchers. Praise him for the gifts he has given us all.


If you're squeamish, you might want to look away...


I wanted to have something to remember my friend by, so I asked Chris to take a picture while I did my shot one night. He captured it perfectly. Sometimes the needle really hurts, but mostly it's the medicine that hurts the most. The NP told me it would sting going in, but I think burn is a much better description.
But all the same, we love our friend, and our Father who's given us the means to bring home a child to raise.

I have to tell you about something my mom told me after watching me take a shot one day. 'Well', she said, 'you have a lot to pinch there, don't you?'
Um, thanks mom.

But, seriously, I had to laugh out loud. Coming from this former gymnast, I am so thankful to have so much to pinch. I have my precious Owen to thank for that.
I only wish I had known I needed these shots with my firstborn...
And this is a 20 week shot of our growing Hannah Mae; actually I think we took this picture right after my nightly shot.

I have no idea how much weight I've gained. I think somewhere around 8-9 pounds. I have another appointment with Dr. Wonderful and with my high risk OB next week, so hopefully both will go well and we'll see that we're both right on track.

I'm so excited about seeing Hannah Mae's cute little face again and hopefully, I'll get some good 3D pictures that I can share with you.




And thank you so much for your love on my last post. I think the funk has passed for now, but I know it is something I will struggle with until we go Home.

10 comments:

Devon said...

oh goodness, I have those same pictures! must document it all! like you, its so hard to think that just a simple shot would have saved my babies...((hugs))

hang in there...its all worth it! i can say that from experience. and for those days when it just hurt like hell from the shot...ice, ice, ice!

Tonya said...

You look GREAT! I can't imagine that you have much to pinch anywhere with as small as you are. Maybe you have to pinch a lot to get enough fat to inject yourself...that sounds more like it! And to have only gained 8-9 pounds is really good at 20 weeks (at least I think so!) So glad your spirits have lifted some for now. Praying for you, Chris and Hannah Mae!

Love,
Tonya

House of Collinsworth said...

Thank you for posting this...I need to get myself prepared as I will also have to take these injections if we get pregnant again since I have Factor V Leiden.

You look GORGEOUS!!!

Erika said...

i knew devon would be the first to post! i remember her going through all her lovely shots with peighton. i am so glad "the nox" is doing its job. praying for you and your little hannah mae...

xoxo,
erika

littletinyfootprints.blogspot.com

Anna said...

You look fantastic Ebe! 20 weeks! I can't wait to see 3D pics of Hannah Mae...

Sara said...

Ebe, yeah, for growing Hannah Mae... you look just precious. Praying for you all!
Sara

Shelly said...

Thanks for this post. Whenever I do become pregnant again, I will also have to give myself the Lovenox shots 2x a day. While I'm not looking forward to it, if it means that it will give me a good chance of having a healthy baby then it's totally worth it!

Rebecca said...

I can't believe how cute & tiny you are. Your belly with Hannah Mae looks like a little olive on a toothpick! I mean that with the most love possible! And yes, praise God for amazing technology.

Ebe said...

You guys are so sweet. Thanks! And Rebecca, you're too funny!

I'm glad that this post helped some of you who will have to endure the pain of Lovenox shots during pregnancy. It's not really all that bad. It could be worse, for sure.

Ebe said...

Oh, and if you need any tips, let me know...I'm happy to share what I've learned.