Saturday, February 13, 2010

On baby things and nesting...and snow

The past few weeks I've been thinking about baby showers and baby things and making room in our teeny tiny apartment for Hannah Mae. If you can believe it, our current apartment is a lot smaller than the one we had when I was pregnant with Owen. Both are one bedroom/one bathroom, but the one we're in now is just tiny. It's pretty laughable. Thankfully, both my husband and I have a knack for creating cozy homes out of, well, crap. Okay, so I might be exaggerating a little bit, but have I mentioned that we spent the first 7 months of our marriage in a 600 sq ft cinderblock-walled apartment? Yep, that was fun.
We now have a whopping 800 sq ft to work with, so I guess we're rolling in space comparatively, huh?

Really, though, I've got nothing to complain about. We do have (a teeny amount, but enough) space in our bedroom for Hannah's crib. We already have her dresser in our bedroom, so we know that it fits. Seriously, what else do you need? We'll be moving to a two bedroom apartment after Hannah Mae is 3 months old, so we only have a few short weeks to be all piled together in one bedroom. The apartment we hope to have next fall is the same sq ft but it's divided into two bedrooms. I'm glad she'll have her own space. I've never thought about decorating a nursery before and honestly haven't given it much thought yet. I just want her home with us. I'll figure out the rest when we need to.

I have been fighting the urge to nest lately. I want to get all her clothes out and just look at them. I want to start washing them and folding them neatly away into her dresser. I had a wild thought this afternoon and told Chris that if her crib was here, I'd want to put it together right now.
I want to be hopeful. I want to be only excited and have joyful anticipation of her safe arrival. There is just so much fear and worry mixed in with the hope and excitement.
*sigh*


We had a few inches of snow yesterday. They had been forecasting snow for Friday, but as usual we don't take snow seriously here because we just never get it.
Yesterday was the exception I guess (oh, and last March). Chris got to come home early from work, which was so nice. It snowed for probably 7 hours. It was great! We went out and played in it for a while. It was a much different experience from last year. Last March when we got 6 inches of snow, we were living out of city limits in a small neighborhood and this year we live in the middle of town. There were all kinds of people out and about, walking, biking, driving around town yesterday. We even saw this:

Yes, that is a man carrying a giant snowball. We saw him coming down the sidewalk and when he got to us, he had to put the snowball down and take a rest. It was so funny! I just kept thinking, only in the south...



I wasn't brave enough to get out and drive in the snow last night, but we did have friends over to our house, friends who didn't seem to mind the snow on the roads. I was worried for them, but I guess they were fine. It didn't seem to get all that icy, just slushy. We did get out today to have lunch with Josh and Miranda. By noon, the sun had melted a lot of the snow and it was beautiful sunshiny day. It made the snow sparkle. 


We had a doctor's appointment last week with Dr. Wonderful. I gained almost 5 pounds in 3 weeks! Yay!! I was so excited. That brings my total to about 13 pounds. My belly is measuring right where it should and Hannah Mae continues to be active and wiggly. I told Chris that I think she has restless leg syndrome. It feels like she is constantly moving her feet to get comfortable. I can't wait to see if she continues this habit after she's born. And here we are at 25 weeks. Dr. Wonderful gave us the rough timeline of the first week of May for an amnio and then induction. So, I guess that means we have 11 and a half weeks to go. 

And this is what I tell myself everyday....

HANG IN THERE!


Yes, that's our cat Lucy. She's such a good sport. Hey, at least I'm not practicing my baby holding moves on her. 

5 comments:

Sara said...

You look awesome Ebe, just precious. Wow, 11 weeks. It will fly by and before you know it he will be here. I am praying daily for you and sweet Hannah Mae. God is holding you both in His strong arms of Love. Iam so glad you got to enjoy the snow... get ready you will have a lot more next year:)Thanks for the prayers friend.
sara

Amy said...

Glad you got to play in some snow, even in the deep south! We have had more snow this year than I ever remember while living in NC. I have to admit I am looking forward to spring.

Your belly looks great!

Tonya said...

I love your apartment! It's very cozy and I know it will be the perfect place to bring Hannah Mae home to! Still praying for you. So glad you had a great appointment! My girls enjoyed the snow, but I think Buddy enjoyed it more. I love you friend! Hope to see you soon!

(((HUGS)))
Tonya

The Blue Sparrow said...

You look absoultly georgous Ebe! Look at that glow! Im glad your appt went well! Hey, stop by my blog, there is a suprise there for you in honor of Owen! *HUGS*

Keisha Valentina said...

Oh Ebe, I love this post and I love your smile.

Please let me know where I can send a gift for your precious little one.

Love, Keisha