Tuesday, March 2, 2010

on the mend

I didn't intend to be offline for the past four days, but I've been occupied by a less than pleasant sickness.

But, first off, I wanted to say thank you so much for your love and prayers and support. I am overwhelmed. I still have a lot of catching up to do (google reader, emails), so if you haven't heard from me, I'm sorry and I'm trying...

Hannah Mae continues to be her normal active self, giving us no more scares. She's doing really well. Our impromptu trip to L & D last Thursday did, however, give me more than I bargained for. This is just an assumption (but a good educated guess), but I think I picked up the stomach flu nastiness while there. Talk about the last thing I wanted after having such an emotional two days.

Friday night, Chris and I were so emotionally drained but we knew that we needed to be with 'our people', you know? People who really really get you... they don't have to try to understand because they've lived it.  So, Chris called Josh and we basically invited ourselves over to their house. They were so gracious to us and welcomed us into their home for dinner. We had such a good time. It was so good to sit with Miranda and talk about the fear and worry, the hope and anticipation. Things that most people truly don't grasp the depth of; how overwhelming, all encompassing and paralyzing the fear for your child's life can be when you KNOW exactly what it feels like to live after the death of a child.

I love holding their son, Elijah. He gives me so much hope for Hannah Mae. He's getting so big too! It's hard to believe he's 12 weeks old! I remember his cute little 1 day old face...

Chris and Josh both actually fell asleep on the couch watching the Olympics while Miranda and I chatted in the kitchen. Elijah got up a little before midnight for his bottle and then we decided that it was probably time we stopped imposing on our dear friends. *sigh* It was a blessed night indeed.

After we got home and in bed, I started feeling pretty weird. Kind of cold and sweaty, and a little nauseated. I shook it off, thinking that all the emotional craziness had affected me physically.
But... no. It was the stomach flu. To say the least, it wasn't a very fun weekend. I was so worried about Josh and Miranda, especially little Elijah. I really hated to think that I had made them sick. Praise God, they aren't.

We've talked to Dr. Wonderful a few times since Saturday and he reassured us that while I was really sick, that Hannah was fine and wasn't affected by my nastiness. I worried about her a lot, but I am so thankful to God that she was active and in her normal routine the whole time.

I kept thinking it would just be a 24 hour thing, then I thought, no okay, it will be a 48 hour thing- I can do that, right?    72 hours (more than that now) have passed and I am finally feeling better.

If you can believe it, it's been a good 8 years since I've had the stomach bug/flu and I've realized a few things about myself through these fun times... I can handle pain. I have a high pain tolerance on one condition- just don't let it last longer than 10-12 hours. After 24 hours, my whiny-poor-me switch gets flipped and after 48 hours, I'm a complete mess. Poor Chris. Yes, you should definitely feel sorry for him. In the five years we've been married, this is the sickest I've ever been and he handled everything like a pro. And praise God, he's not gotten sick. After taking care of me, I think he's really thankful to be well (he's also really thankful for apple cider vinegar, which I recommend whole-heartedly for those of you exposed to a stomach bug).


I'm not sure there's much I can say to express my gratitude to you who walk this scary, exciting, anxiety ridden and hope filled road with us. Thank you so much. Does putting it in italics make it more tangible? I hope so.
My friend, L., told me this past week that it feels like I've been pregnant with Hannah Mae FOREVER. It has been a long road, hasn't it?  9 weeks: 63 more days to go. I know you're all ready to see her sweet little face too. I can't wait to share her with you.

7 comments:

The Blue Sparrow said...

Glad your feeling better! And yes, cant wait to see Hannah's adorable lil face! *HUGS*

Sara said...

We had that same but... bummer. I can't wait for you to share her sweet precious face with us too... my kids can't wait either:)
sara

Rebecca said...

Oh Ebe. I'm glad you're on the mend.

I just got all choked up thinking about 63 days left. 63??!!! Oh Lord, please.

P.S. Whenever I'm reading your blog, Sebastian points to the picture of Owen and says "baby, baby". This, from the boy that is speech delayed. It's really precious.

Freya said...

Glad you're doing better--I'll keep on praying until she's kicking her little feet in your arms =)

Tonya said...

I HATE that you've been so sick! But I'm glad you're on the mend and Chris has escaped (at least for now) and Miranda's family, too. Those stomach bugs are NASTY! Sending you a big (((FEEL BETTER))) hug!

Love,
Tonya

Miranda said...

Ebe,
We LOVED having you and Chris over and are so glad that we could just hang out. You two 'get it' too and it's a connection that we will forever have with each other.

I am so sorry you got sick!! I thought it may have been the chicken at first :) We can't wait to hang out again.

The count down is on! I am eating M&M's for you too!!

63 more days until Hannah Mae's beautiful face...

Love,
Miranda

Emily said...

Praying for you this morning.