Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Owen's third birthday

Yesterday was sweet and sorrowful. Painful and joyful.

It feels like a balancing act to keep living in the world after one of your children dies. A strange and mysterious juggling of emotions on a day to day basis.
My heart longs to dwell on Owen. To let my thoughts linger on him and his life; his absence here and his presence in Heaven. My mind turns to him constantly throughout the day as I remember the time we had with him, and as I long for things that won't ever be reality. I wonder what life would be like with a three year old running around our house, interrupting Hannah's naptime and chattering with me while I make dinner.
At the same time, my mind is occupied with nursing schedules and naptimes. My heart also sits joyfully with Hannah as we play on the floor and giggle with each other.

I am in the present with Hannah and I am also longing for the future with Owen in Heaven. I'm not torn between the two, my heart doesn't love one more than the other or long for one more than the other, but it's a balancing act.

It's difficult to explain and hard to navigate. I've been living with the pain of Owen's absence for three years, but only in the last six months have I had to navigate this road with a child in my arms.

Celebrating Owen's birthday was different this year than the past two years. It was hard to sit in my grief and sorrow while tending to a very needy and adorable six month old. We didn't get to release any balloons because of bad timing and other responsibilities. I did make a cake, but didn't get it iced until after Hannah was in bed. It was just a different kind of day.





I can't believe Owen has been gone from this Earth for three years. It's so hard to believe that he would be three if his birth, his life for that matter, was what we had expected. It wasn't though... it wasn't what we expected, but it is his story nonetheless.


We miss you, precious baby boy.

6 comments:

Charity said...

Thinking of you and your sweet Owen.
Hannah is soo adorable! Growing fast too..

Katie said...

Ebe there is no way I can imagine what you're going through but this post is beautifully beautifully written. Thank you for sharing your joy and grief with us. Love Hannah's cute shirt and thinking of your beautiful boy chillin' with Jesus. (apologies if that sounds too light it seems like a beautiful idea to me)

The Blue Sparrow said...

Ebe, I'm praying. I wish I had some usuful tips for navagating this road, but it's so different for us all. Just know that I'm remembering Owen with you and praying. (Love Hannah's shirt btw, it's perfect!) (((HUGS)))

Sara said...

Ebe, I am so glad that you posted. I have been wondering about you so much... how you have been coping this year with Owen's birthday. I have been praying Ebe and remembering Owen with you. I was just gazing at his picture on the sidebar... just beautiful Ebe!
Sara

Tonya said...

It's amazing how all those feelings and emotions can be present at the same time. Love, love, love Hannah in her little sister shirt! Emma Grace continued to wear her big sister shirt even after Grady went to heaven. Someone recently said, "Oh, you're finally a big sister!" I wanted to remind them that she has been a big sister for two years. I'm so glad to *hear* from you. I've been remembering Owen with you and praying you through these days. Love and miss you!!!

Tonya

wednesdayswithmalou said...

Happy birthday, Owen Christopher! You are a special boy, loved and remembered by people all over the world...