Friday, November 26, 2010

So glad we didn't skip it this year

I remember blogging about Thanksgiving last year and commenting that we should just skip Thanksgiving altogether next year. I'm so glad we didn't actually decide to do that. Chris had a horrible stomach bug two Thanksgivings ago and last year, he got a migraine headache that may or may not have been allergies from the Christmas tree we chopped down that weekend. Fun times.

This year, we decided to stay home in STL because Chris only gets a couple of days off and he has a ton of school work to do, and finals are coming up. So, here we are- snuggled up at home the day after Thanksgiving. We're all still in our PJs and I'm about ready to dig out all the leftovers and pig out all afternoon.

I had never made Thanksgiving dinner before so yesterday was quite the adventure. I had fully planned on getting a turkey and trying my hand at cooking it all by myself, but chickened out at the last minute and bought a chicken instead (oh, the funs of puns).
Everything turned out great, if I do say so myself.

I stayed up super late the night before and prepped all my ingredients. I made homemade pumpkin pie, baked the cornbread for dressing, cooked the sweet potatoes and tried (unsuccessfully) to bake my biscuits for the dressing as well. Practically right after I put the biscuits in the oven, the tornado siren went off and we all trekked to the basement for cover. I maybe wouldn't have gone downstairs except for the fact that I'm pretty sure I heard a great roaring sound right after the sirens went off. It was quite the adventure. Our neighbors met us in the hallway and we cuddled our kiddos while waiting it out on the floor of the basement hallway. We watched the live weather map online and decided after about 15 minutes that we were safe to go back upstairs.

So, back to the biscuits....I did remember to turn the oven off before heading out, but when I got back upstairs I turned the oven on and continued baking them like normal. Six minutes later, they were burned. If it wasn't so late and I hadn't been so distracted, I might have thought that yeah, the biscuits had been sitting in a hot oven for much longer than they should have been so they didn't need to be cooked any longer. But no, common sense escaped me at that moment.

I decided to clean up the kitchen, head back to bed and worry about the rest in the morning.
Yesterday morning, we had a neighbor come by to watch the Macy's parade and we ate cinnamon rolls and had delicious coffee. It was really fun.

By noon, I was back in the kitchen, chopping and sautéing, mixing and baking. I praise God that I didn't get overwhelmed- I am thankful everything turned out so great.



In the middle of cooking my squash for the casserole, I looked outside our window and saw snow! I couldn't believe it... I can't remember ever seeing snow on Thanksgiving before. It was beautiful. I took a break from cooking and Hannah and I stood at the window watching while Chris threw snowballs with the neighbor kids. He even brought one back inside for Hannah to see.






When everything was finally done, we sat down to enjoy our first Thanksgiving dinner, just the three of us. Hannah had just about had enough fun and was ready for a nap, but she toughed it out and we had a nice meal. The dressing was my favorite part; it tasted just like my mom's, burnt biscuit debacle and all.




We ended the day watching a movie with one of our neighbors and then promptly plopped into bed exhausted.


It was a great day. Praise the Lord.











We're very thankful for all we have, and mindful of what, or rather who, is missing. God is still worthy to be praised. Hope y'all had a great, peaceful Thanksgiving.

4 comments:

Tonya said...

Happy Thanksgiving! So glad you didn't skip it and it was a great day...your meal looked yummy! Also thankful Chris didn't get sick this year! And how crazy, tornado siren and then snow! Love and miss you!

Tonya

Rachel said...

I LOVE the picture of the three of you where Hannah's looking up/back at you guys. It brought tears to my eyes, knowing who's missing and knowing that Hannah is healthy and happy!

Ashly said...

that sounds like the perfect thanksgiving! Hannah Mae is simply adorable:) Good job cooking!

Rebecca said...

Sounds fabulous! I love that Chris brought HannahMae a snowball & she looks absolutely adorable in that red sweater. Praise God that I didn't get overwhelmed with all the cooking either :>) So glad you will have beautiful memories of Hannah's first Thanksgiving!