Monday, April 25, 2011

7 things

1.  I've been on a social media vacation for the past 10 days. It was a good/bad experience. Honestly, I didn't miss it one bit until I realized I had over 150 new emails, 250 blog posts waiting in my reader and about 1,000 facebook status updates to catch up on. There's something to be said about checking in once a day and not letting it all pile up. I am overwhelmed by the thought of getting caught up.

2. St. Louis was hit by some major tornadoes. We were out of state at the time, but saw all the devastation on the news. I quickly picked up the phone to call our neighbor to make sure that everyone was okay. Our flight home last night brought us into an airport and a city with a lot of clean up to do. I don't think anyone was critically injured and for that, we are very thankful.

3. I think my plants really missed me while I was gone. They are droopy and sad looking at the moment.

4. This time last year I was checking in at labor and delivery getting a NST, trying really hard to stay calm but failing miserably. We still thought we would be waiting at least a week until we would get to hold Hannah Mae in our arms. I remember sleeping about 4 hours this night one year ago. I got up early (around 4:30am), made breakfast and sat at the kitchen table writing thank you notes.

5. I wish Chris didn't have to work so hard this week. I am wading through memories (scary and sappy) and struggling to get back in the swing of 'home' all the while wanting to get Hannah's birthday week celebration in gear. There is so much to celebrate!

6. Memories of April last year.... looking at these pictures brings back the extreme emotions, varying from butterflies of excitement and anxiety, a lot of fear and so much happy anticipation. I am struck by how often my hands are cradling sweet Hannah in my belly. I look very protective with my hands constantly around my belly. I felt very protective as well. I remember obsessively checking her movement with my hands, always looking for the next kick or roll. If I could have kept her safe with my hands, I would have. Maybe subconsciously I was trying to do that.








7. One last time, can you believe we've had Hannah Mae in our arms for almost an entire year?!! Just like when I was carrying her in my womb, my hands were never far from her... my arms have not been without her for very long since the day she was born. I am so thankful for her, for her life and for the year we've been given. Thank you, Father.

2 comments:

Rebecca said...

Glad you're back! Great update. I do think that's so interesting about your hands protecting Hannah. I loved seeing all the old pictures of you & can't wait to see all the celebration of Hannah's first year!

Praising Him & doing a happy dance!

The Blue Sparrow said...

I'm glad everyone is home safe & sound! I loved seeing all the pictures of your hands protectively over Hannaha. I bet that's exactly what you were doing, protecting her. (((HUGS)))