Saturday, April 30, 2011

One

Hannah Mae's first birthday was a sweet day filled with squeals, a pink tutu, new toys including a drum and block set, a yummy crumbly vegan cupcake, a meltdown, lots of April showers, a lunch date at Chick-fil-a complete with a little stuffed cow and a red balloon, two exhausted and thrilled parents and a very happy one year old.

We had a great day celebrating Hannah's birthday. She was thrilled with her new toys, especially the red balloon the sweet folks at Chick-fil-a gave her (it never hurts to ask). The pink paper flowers Chris and I made were a big hit too. She loved them and squealed with all her one year old might when I took them away because she was destroying them with intense love.




I had a great time making her cupcakes and an even better time watching her trying to decide whether or not she was going to eat them. The cupcakes ended up being some of the best cupcakes I've ever had, and Chris (unbelievably) agreed. I didn't even miss the eggs or real milk. Almond milk and apple cider vinegar, olive oil (substituted for the pricey coconut oil the recipe called for), vanilla and a couple of dashes of cinnamon- it was delicious!


Hannah loved the way it tasted, but was not a fan of the sticky crumbly texture. She had a blast picking it up, stuffing it in her mouth and rolling it around and then spitting it back out. Over and over again. Her daddy threatened to eat her cupcake if she wasn't going to eat it, but thankfully he refrained. We had already had one meltdown, and I wasn't looking forward to another one!


In true one year old fashion, our little girl had a sad little meltdown about getting her diaper changed before her nap, but after a good rest she was ready to open her presents and forgot all about mean mommy changing her diaper.











Watching Hannah Mae crawl from toy to toy, we laughed at the perplexed faces she made at all the new things to touch and see. She didn't quite know what to do with herself or the new things scattered across the floor.


We started the day singing Happy Birthday to our little girl and ended in the same fashion. After nursing and putting her down, I looked at Chris and said, "I can't believe she's one. I haven't even really let myself really think about it, but she's one year old!!"

Where did this year go? It was the shortest, longest year of our lives.

We are overwhelmed with the love of the past year and so thankful for the joy in our hearts. And so thankful for the faithfulness and love of our God.


*We had a birthday party for Hannah Mae yesterday afternoon, which was so much fun. I am so happy and so thankful to the Lord for helping me do all the 'little' things I wanted to do. I got really overwhelmed one night and wasn't sure if I was going to be able do it. After all I had never thrown a birthday party quite like this one- one where my baby was here to celebrate and enjoy it too. I know it may seem like not such a big deal, but it was a huge deal for us and I'm so grateful that we had the opportunity to have a party for our daughter. And watch her enjoy it too.
I'll post pictures soon. It was a blast.

7 comments:

Bree said...

Looks like a beautiful day. Happy Birthday, Hannah Mae! I'd love the cupcake recipe. Nora's 1st is coming in THREE weeks. I can't believe it.

Kelly said...

What an absolutely, perfect day!

Happy Birthday to Hannah Mae!

heather ryan morse said...

I love the line, "the shortest longest year of our lives.." we are about to embark on that year ourselves. :) love reading you!

Rachel said...

Happy 1st Birthday, Hannah Mae! So happy for you all, that this day is here and while bittersweet, it is only the beginning of many more happy years and happy memories.

If you're interested in coconut oil (we use it), check out the subscribe and save price on Amazon.

Open Air said...

Happy Birthday, Hannah Mae! You are loved, loved, LOVED! Wow, I can't believe it's been a year!
Looks like you did it up right. :) So happy for you!

Sara said...

yay for Hannah Mae... Yay for her mommy and daddy... Yay God for giving these beautiful parents this precious little girl to love! We are praising God with you!

Malou's Mama said...

It looks like you all had a fabulous day! What an amazing, joyful experience - to celebrate a child's first birthday with hugs, cuddles, giggles and meltdowns. :) I still remember watching your OTM video and you and your hubby singing happy birthday to Owen at his grave. :( It IS a huge deal to celebrate this day now with Hannah Mae.
xo
Stephanie