Friday, September 16, 2011

Free

You're free and that's all I'm trying to say. If you weren't free then Jesus wouldn't be who he says he is.

Yesterday I got into a little discussion about asking God 'why?' and his sovereignty. I left feeling so sad and perplexed. I stepped into the discussion because I felt like the freedom of the Gospel wasn't being clearly displayed. And I never want anyone to feel like (especially after something difficult like a death of a loved one) there is no freedom to ask God 'why?' or to go to the Father with our questions.
We have such great freedom to go to our Father in Heaven and sit in his lap and cry our eyes out asking 'why?'
He loves us. 


Yes, when Jesus comes back and makes all things right, there may not be a single question on our lips. It may not matter at all why. And the whys may be a part of God's secret things that we can never know.
But... but that doesn't mean that at some point in our lives those questions aren't important to us. Those questions can pull us into a deeper relationship with God. They can cause us to run to him and fall into his lap, a sacred place.

It is by the Holy Spirit that the burning we feel from the questions starts to fade. It is not by someone telling us not to ask, just to 'let go and let God'. It is not by someone who tells us that the why is not for us to know. There is great freedom to ask why... to ask anything. It's true, we may never get an answer. We may never feel a peace about the why.
And if there is no answer, no peace about the whys.... in the end, we're still sitting in his lap, talking to our Father and we can find peace and rest in who He is.

4 comments:

Tonya said...

Amen! I agree with you 100%! We are human and we are going to ask "why?" and I believe God expects us to. As long as we don't get stuck there... Like you said, we may never get an answer, and I truly believe that when we are face to face with our Father in Heaven our "why's?" from earth won't matter anymore.

Love you!

Jenilyn said...

Amen, my friend.

- Jenilyn

Sara said...

Love you Ebe... so many questions... God knows them all... funny how some days you have so many questions, others not so much. Sometimes you long for answers, others not so much... weird and hard this journey...Praying for you!:)

Groves said...

In Sunday School a guy who has (apparently) had a rather easy time of it was pronouncing on and on, how the one thing we need to make sure of "if we are ever called to suffer" - is that we never, ever, ever ask God why. THAT, he said, is the one thing we need to make sure of.

"We must make sure we suffer nobly. We must ensure we suffer *well*."

And I wondered how this speech would fly with Jesus, weeping and sweating blood bullets in the Garden.

Everything in me wanted to do a verbal beat-down (of course, a Christian one...whatever that is...sigh...).

I have since dreamed of saying, "You'd better be careful, sir. God may let you road-test your theories. Because somehow I don't think you've done that yet."

And a very "don't be like that" part of me hopes that he *will* get his theories tested, and he won't be so full of himself next time.

Perhaps I'm supposed to be too Christian to think things like this. (Right.)

But I do think things like this, and somehow I feel like I can feel them here.

Thanks, Ebe.

Cathy in Missouri