Thursday, December 15, 2011

Week of weeks

This week has been hard. Excuse me while I vent (and document for my future self):

It is finals week here in seminary land. All the stressing, studying, hustling and bustling and huffing and puffing, and not being able to help with any of it is hard. I am Chris' partner in crime and I can't do anything to help with this week.
Added to his stress and busyness was the stomach bug, which somehow found its nasty way into our house early Monday morning. Chris got it first and then HM. I don't know how, but I have avoided the sickness thus far (God's providence and apple cider vinegar maybe helped).

It seemed like it was the best version of the stomach bug, so we really do have a lot to be thankful for (the version I had when I was pregnant with HM last almost 4 days and was bad bad bad). The sickness lasted only a day, but it's taken a few days for them to feel back to normal. As far as I can tell, I think HM is feeling like herself again. Today was the first day this week that we sat at the table and had a meal together (well, excluding Chris because he is BUSY).

I made the mistake of reading online that people infected with stomach viruses can be contagious for up to 5 days. I guess I'm not home free yet. I have done probably 1,000 loads of laundry since Monday morning. I am washing and rewashing toys and stuffed animals and wiping books and doorknobs.... and did I mention that I'm a germaphobe? I have washed the crap out of my hands and I'm now dealing with a flare of hand eczema (which is just great, I must say). My hands are so itchy that I could take a grater to them. Boo.

I appreciate my washer more than I can say. We lived the first half of our marriage without such luxuries and I am just so thankful that neither of us got a stomach virus back then. (Speaking of marriage... this weekend is our 7th wedding anniversary!)

It is going to sound bizarre, but I think one of my favorite toddlerhood memories of HM happened on Monday right after the first time she threw up (which of course, because I didn't know she was about to throw up, happened all down my front and yes, I tried to 'catch' it with my hands). After I yelled for Chris (who was sick himself), I just stood there all dazed and confused, tried to hold my breath/comfort my sick baby (toddler) while she cuddled into my chest and said "Oooooo" and then looked up at me, puckered her lips and tried to give me a big kiss on the mouth. "Muuuuuuah!!"
Poor thing. I told her I'd take a rain check on the kiss.

Chris was gone all day yesterday (with the exception of 2 breaks for a quick bite of something to eat), from the time HM and I woke up to way after HM was down for the night. He'll be gone all day today too, and most of tomorrow. We miss him.

I am so thankful that we have a break coming our way. It is coming. And it can't come soon enough.


2 comments:

Sara said...

Oh I remember those crazy sem days... the girls and I used to joke that it was always clear as day... about 3 weeks out from finals, the guys started to lose their minds and we never saw them. Enjoy your break together... you guys deserve it! Love you!

Tonya said...

Oh, I'm SO sorry this is such a terrible week. The stomach bug is awful. I hold my breath this time of year as it circulates through the schools. I tell my girls every morning to keep their hands away from their faces. I hope you stay well and can't wait to see you soon! Love you!