Thursday, March 1, 2012

Spiritual Warfare


"A related tactic (related to Satan putting thoughts into your mind and then accusing you of having it) is to trigger an emotional response and then use the same accusation approach. Satan has many people convinced that they are what they feel--whether or not those feelings be 'good' or 'bad'. Feelings are not unimportant. They are a very real part of our lives, but they are not the test of truth or spirituality. This is why Christian meditation is important. Meditating on the Word of God day and night builds a Biblical filter in the mind by which that which is contrary to the truth is kept out. So when the enemy tries to accuse us for a thought he planted in our mind, we can say, "I recognize where that thought came from, and since it is not from God I reject it. I refuse to be controlled by it."
Timothy M. Warner, Spiritual Warfare



This really means a lot to me. I am an emotional person and when I feel something strongly it affects me deeply. Sharing that I feel spiritual warfare here in seminary kind of makes me feel like people might start looking at me like I see demons behind every bush or tree. Well, I guess that's a risk I have to take. 
I feel spiritual warfare here, more than anywhere I've ever lived. 

Last night I felt such strong despair (after a fight with Chris over something stupid) about a physical ailment and all our worries/struggles that I whispered to Chris, "God must hate me." And then as almost an afterthought, "Or Satan does."
Chris prayed over me and we talked for brief moment before going to bed about how Satan does hate us and anything that tells us that God hates us is a lie from the enemy. I prayed and talked a little with the Lord about how I feel and asked for guidance and wisdom and help.

Then Chris gave me the book Spiritual Warfare to read this morning. 

I read a few pages that Chris marked for me and immediately felt relief. The Word of God is truth and all else that contradicts it is a LIE. 

And then as icing on the cake, a sweet friend told me that she saw a cardinal this morning (my beloved red birds) and thought of me. 
 
God is present and His Spirit is always with us. Praise the Lord.

3 comments:

Beth said...

Just what I needed to read. I've been feeling some spiritual attacks lately, so this is good for me to read. I'm trying to learn how to arm myself with God's Word to battle against the lies.

Sara said...

Sounds like a good book friend... Tonya and I missed having you with us... Praying for you friend! Praying for the Lord to be ever close to you today!

Tonya said...

Yes, we did miss you...LOTS! I've been feeling some spiritual warfare in my life too. More than I would like. Can we talk soon? One day this week? I would LOVE that! And I LOVE YOU, too! (((HUGS)))