Monday, March 11, 2013

Bits and Pieces

Our big girl is now (officially) potty trained. We've been slowly introducing what it means to go potty, and one day a few weeks ago, she just decided she wanted to do it. Since then, she's only worn a couple of diapers. We've had a few accidents, but mostly I'd call it a success! I can't believe how big and independent she is. I think being able to decide when she goes potty and taking care of it herself, she's discovered she has control over some things in her life... and that makes her want control over everything. And this leads to quite a few more tantrums in the house because the girl is not quite as big as she thinks she is!

Our little girl is sleeping much better these days. At least the past couple of days have been much more restful at night. I'd say she's eating three times in the night now, which is great for a 8 pound one-month old! She is starting to smile at us, and it makes me cry every time. I love her sweet little smiles. One of my favorite things is to cuddle up with her in my favorite spot and rock her to sleep.

This may be TMI for some, so just stop reading here if you're uncomfortable with normal body functions....
(still reading??) Well, since I still produce a little bit of milk, I have tried to breastfeed our little girl since the day we got her. But oh my goodness, it has been one of the hardest things I've done to decide that it just wasn't working. She would get so frustrated and angry about the flow of milk and so preferred the bottle to breastfeeding, that I've come to the conclusion this week that I need to stop trying. I know formula is not bad. I'm not going to argue with anyone about that. I just so prefer breastfeeding to formula feeding. I was so thankful that I got to breastfeed Hannah Mae and I wanted to do that for Sissy too. But after five weeks, it is apparent that we're not getting anywhere and it's stressing everyone (me and Sissy) out big time. Little Sissy is healthy, and gaining weight well and is such a precious baby girl. We are so thankful.


Hannah Mae and Sissy are really stinking cute together. Hannah loves to talk to her and tries to play with her all the time. Sissy hears her big sister's voice and turns her head and searches for her. Oh, how it warms my heart. I love having two little girls.


This last semester has been the busiest, most stressful and crazy-flying-by semester of our three years in seminary. I guess adding in a newborn, normal life, plus classes, plus planning for our after-graduation life can do that.
We're really excited about what we're going to do after graduation. Chris has been asked to be the functioning assistant pastor (it's a three year residency) at a new church plant in a really great college town. The church has just started meeting weekly at a location, though it's not open to the public just yet. The core group is growing, and it's really exciting. Since it's a church plant, and not a particularized church yet, there is no real budget for Chris' job. He will get some of his income from the church's budget, but we have to raise the rest of our income. To be honest, that's a bit scary. We have lived off of support these past years here in seminary, but we've also had other sources of income too- like Chris' TA job or his library assistant job, and my babysitting/nanny gigs. But soon, we're going to be living off of support alone... and that means we need to raise the money.

I know I went on and on about how God will provide if he calls you to do something in my post about Sissy's adoption, and I totally believe that. But there is still a little trepidation about how and when he will provide what we need.


We're getting ready for spring break and springtime!! Yay! I am doing a small cleanse after such a stressful couple of months, and it feels good to spend some intentional time focusing on my health and body. I've ditched my shampoo and conditioner this week and I'm cleansing it with a baking soda/water mixture and rinse the ends with apple cider vinegar. I also discovered that you can use baking soda as a facial mask/exfoliater.  And if that isn't enough, you can also use baking soda as a deodorant! I am a pretty stinky girl, and I find that the baking soda actually does a pretty good job. Coconut oil is my new favorite lotion/mositurizer. We started using it on Sissy because her skin tends to dry out pretty quickly and natural lotion can be quite expensive. Thankfully, coconut oil is cheap and a much better moisturizer than most lotions we've tried; and a little goes a long way so it lasts forever!


Those are some of the most random bits and pieces I've probably ever written. Oh well.
Happy last week of winter!!

1 comment:

Tonya said...

So happy to check in and read about life with your sweet family. I love and miss you and sure wish I could see you over spring break. Would love to meet little Sissy! HUGS!